Sunday, March 30, 2008

Repository

During OSBC I was able to catch up with a number of fellow Alfresco customers. All of us are eager to gain a better understanding of how Alfresco will proceed with its repository harmonization. During the Alfresco Community in New York repository harmonization was a major theme during the Ask the Experts session. Clearly it's an important area of concern for customers.

Alfresco's road map on the wiki states the following priorities for 2008
  • New and enhanced team and enterprise collaboration services
  • Publishing and management services for dynamic, Web 2.0-enabled websites
  • Web client usability
  • Scalability, performance, and enterprise-readiness
  • Standards
It's difficult to tell if repository harmonization is included in these initiatives or not. Clearly it is not spelled out as a explicit initiative unto its own. I am looking forward to the MuSCoW roadmap / release schedule we were told about at during the User Meetup in San Jose. MuSCow stands for Must do, Should do, Could do, Won't Do.

I had a thought today that I need to follow up on. We have been talking about "Repository Harmonization." I, for some reason assumed this meant that the two repositories will be consolidated in to a single solution, taking the best features and capabilities from each. This is a probably a question of semantics -- but I got to thinking today: "harmonization" is not by definition consolidation. Harmonization implies two or more entities acting in harmony (for example two guitar string vibrating at agreeable [very technical -- I know] frequencies.) I am still under the impression that harmonization means consolidation but I want to follow up and make sure. Clearly the combined feature set is important to the customers that I've had the fortune to speak with.

4 comments:

Ken said...

I was not at the New York meeting. Could you explain what two repositories may be harmonized?

russ.danner said...

Alfresco at present can currently be thought of as two products under a single UI. DM (Document Management) and WCM (Web Content Management.) When WCM was introduced in to the product a new repository called the AVM was introduced. The DM and WCM repositories have different properties and behavioral characteristics. Both repositories have compelling features and capabilities, neither have the full set.

Ken said...

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. I've been pushing for the forms functionality to be in ECM since they announced it.

russ.danner said...

This looks like it might be your ticket. http://issues.alfresco.com/browse/WCM-303